Coffee House: Sustainability Intern
Name: Kelli O'Day
You can visit the Coffee House website to learn more about them.
Payrate: $12.00/ hr
Payrate Stipend: No
Work Study: Yes
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: 12 hours/week
Start Date: June 1, 2018
End Date: Indefinite
Job Number: 0014-2687-2018
Last Date to Apply: May 11, 2018
Associated Students Dining Services (comprised of the ASUCD Coffee House, the CoHo South Café, and BioBrew) is looking for a motivated, qualified student to take on the role of Sustainability Intern. AS Dining Services is a unique, primarily student-staffed food service operation focused on offering sustainable, made-from-scratch menu items to the UC Davis community.
The student selected for this internship should be prepared to work independently to set and achieve goals and to also communicate effectively with the AS Dining Services management team (specifically the Coffee House Sustainability Coordinator) and Director as needed to foster a collaborative process. The student selected will finish the internship having gained broad experience in operational analysis with a focus on sustainability, data collection & evaluation and various components of sustainable retail food service.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
1. Conduct periodic sustainability audits of all AS Dining Service facilities in order to pinpoint potential areas for growth
2. Offer recommendations to the AS Dining Services management team on ways to become a more sustainable operation
3. Maintain records of sustainable food purchases
4. Act as a liaison between AS Dining Services and the UC Davis Waste Reduction and Recycling department
5. Develop and implement programming relating to sustainable initiatives, including Meatless Monday, Food Day, etc.
6. Coordinate customer outreach to “tell the story” of AS Dining Services’ sustainable practice
7. Train Coffee House staff on sustainability policies and procedures
As part of your employment, you are required to subscribe to the ASUCD newsletter.
1. Must be a UC Davis student
2. Able to work at least 12 hours per week
3. Excellent verbal and written communication skills
4. Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
5. Knowledge of AS Dining Service operations a plus
6. Personal laptop for on-site work a plus
7. Public speaking skills a plus
8. Sustainability-based experience not required but will be considered when choosing the best applicant for this position
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community in the workplace and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency
- Please list previous work history and volunteer experience.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.