Unitrans: Transit Driver
Name: Leah Guerrero
You can visit the Unitrans website to learn more about them.
Payrate Stipend: No
Work Study: N/A
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: 15 hrs/week
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: Indefinite
Job Number: 0009-2774-2018
Last Date to Apply: July 19, 2018
Responsible for safely operating Unitrans vehicles in daily operation.
Unitrans is an equal employmentopportunity.
Applicants MUST be able to work during Summer Session 2.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
A. Maintain safe and reliable transit operations
a. Operate Unitrans vehicles in both regular and charter services
b. Responsible for taking fare, issuing transfers, tend to customer service questions about
routes, schedule, fares etc.
c. Maintain on-time performance and keep accurate passenger counts
B. Must be available for classroom training, behind-the-wheel training, and subsequent re-training
As part of your employment, you are required to subscribe to the ASUCD newsletter.
A. Required to work the designated minimum hours as defined by the Transit Driver Manager
B. Required to work 1-3 on-call hours per quarter
C. Required to attend three MANDATORY meetings per quarter
D. Must obtain a class B commercial license with passenger endorsement (all necessary training is
paid for and provided)
E. Must be able to work some extra hours when required to ensure complete operation
F. Must possess an accurate time piece displaying hours, minutes, and seconds
G. Ability to exercise a high degree of individual responsibility
H. Ability to effectively interact with individuals with diverse backgrounds, skills, and abilities.
I. Must have a class C license (standard driver’s license) that is valid in one of the 50 US States
J. ATTENTION: Must be able to complete training before Fall Quarter starts.
a. The Training Program consists of three sections:
i. Classroom Training
1. Classroom Training is two to three 2 -2.5 hour long sessions where you go
over federal regulations, cover topics relevant to being a Transit Driver,
and prepare to pass the Class B Permit Test.
ii. Driver Training (DT)
1. After you pass the permit test, you will begin Driver Training. Each Trainee will begin training one-on-one with a Driver Trainer to prepare for the Class B License Test. Driver Training consists of fifteen 3-4 hour phases.
iii. Route Training (RT)
1. When you pass you Class B License Test, you are ready to start Route
Training. RT will have you working in service, with passengers, and a
Route Trainer who will teach you company policy and advanced driving
techniques. After about 3 to 6 weeks of sufficient observation, you will be
released into service as a fully-fledged Transit Driver!
Applications selected are required to pass a pre-employment drug test prior to being offered this
position. Successful applicants are subjected to a Criminal Background Check prior to starting
Behind the Wheel Training. Successful applicants will also be part of a random drug and alcohol
testing pool as defined by federal regulations 49 CFR PART 40.
1. Develop management and interpersonal skills and gain experience talking to many different
kinds of people.
2. Work in a friendly, comfortable environment.
3. Hours are flexible.
4. Become a part of the Unitrans family and make friends for life.
- Please list previous work history and volunteer experience.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community in the workplace and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.