Picnic Day: Unit Director
Name: Justin Hurst
You can visit the Picnic Day website to learn more about them.
Payrate: $110.12/week (pending budget approval - refer to budget for weeks paid)
Payrate Stipend: Yes
Work Study: no
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: 19 hours per week
Start Date: April 12, 2019
End Date: June 30, 2020
Job Number: 0004-3160-2019
Last Date to Apply: April 5, 2019
Responsible for managing and overseeing Picnic Day, a unit that is responsible for the planning and execution of an annual open house for visitors to experience the richness of diversity and achievement at UC Davis in the areas of research, teaching, service, and campus life.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the unit and establish yearly goals that align with the 2020 Vision for ASUCD
- Hire 15 student directors and manage between 70-90 staff including recruiting, training, evaluating, motivating, delegating, and monitoring their activities. Schedule ongoing staff meetings.
- Work with Creative Media for the website and technical management
- Develop and track metrics within Unit to drive decisions and present with quarterly reports.
- Create and present a report once a quarter to ASUCD Senate, meet with adopted Senator for the unit on a quarterly basis, and act as the liaison between the student government and unit.
- Attend unit director trainings as required by ASUCD leadership.
- Work with ASUCD Business Manager to ensure that operational practices comply with ASUCD/UC Davis Policies and Procedures.
- Work with advisors and campus partners to ensure smooth operation and compliance with campus policies
- Work with the ASUCD Controller to review and evaluate budget and prepare budget for following year.
- Maintain Unit policies and procedures.
- Uphold and promote ASUCD’s values and philosophy relating to ethics, integrity, social responsibility.
- Act as the point person to resolve issues within the unit. Bring larger issues to the attention of the ASUCD President and ASUCD Business Manager.
- Work with campus partners including UC Davis Police and Student Health and Counseling Services to promote a safe, accessible, and fun Picnic Day.
- Perform administrative duties and work independently.
- Interpersonal communication skills and exceptional customer service skills.
- Strong time and project management skills.
- Ability to motivate and inspire staff.
- Proficient at Gmail and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Understanding of periodic finance and accounting reports.
- Experience managing employees and/or volunteers.
Additional Information In order to be eligible for consideration and interview, successful candidate must be able to commit to:
a. Spring 2019: Unpaid training/shadowing: ¨
- A minimum of 20 hours for the quarter of shadowing of current director. ¨
- Attend mandatory ASUCD Leadership Course. The student will earn 2 units upon successful completion of the ASUCD Leadership Course. The course is two hours a week for 9 weeks, and is Pass/No Pass.
b. Fall 2019: Position will be converted to pay as listed above (pending budget approval)
- Please list previous work history and volunteer experience.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community in the workplace and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.