Coffee House: AS Dining Services Paid Garden Coordinator (Supervisor Level)
Name: Kelli O'Day
You can visit the Coffee House website to learn more about them.
Payrate Stipend: No
Work Study: Yes
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: 6-10 hours/week
Start Date: June 1, 2019
End Date: June 1, 2020
Job Number: 0014-3268-2019
Last Date to Apply: May 23, 2019
Associated Student Dining Services (compromised of the ASUCD Coffee House, the CoHo South Cafe, and BioBrew) is looking for a motivated, qualified student to take on the role of Garden Coordinator for their urban rooftop garden to be installed on the 5th floor of the Memorial Union. AS Dining Services is a unique, primarily student-staffed food service operation focused on offering sustainable, made-from-scratch menu items to the UC Davis community. The rooftop garden is funding by The Green Initiative Fund(TGIF), and will use aeroponic Tower Gardens to grow food to serve in Coffee House recipes and donate to the Pantry and Aggie Compass. The person in this position will play an instrumental role in developing the urban rooftop garden as it is a newly launched program.
The student selected for this position should be prepared to work independently to set and achieve goals and to also communicate effectively with the AS Dining Services management team(specifically the Coffee House Sustainability Coordinator) and Director as needed to foster a collaborative process. The student selected will finish the internship having gained broad experience in operational and educational program development, data collection, and program evaluation.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
- Assist in garden maintenance for 12 aeroponic garden towers; including watering, planting and transferring seedlings, pruning, inspecting for pests, and cleaning/turning over towers
- Train volunteer gardening groups on garden policies and procedures
- Lead and supervise volunteers during gardening shifts
- Maintain records of seeds and plants
- Learn and pass on permaculture and gardening knowledge while providing food security and sustainable community development
- Offer recommendations to the AS Dining Services management team on operational improvements for the garden
- Develop and implement programming relating to urban gardening education and tours
- Must be available during summer SSI and SSII and commit to a full year in the position
- Able to work 6-10 hours per week
- Must show a demonstrated interest in urban agriculture, permaculture, and organic gardening
- Able to bend, quat, and lift 15 lbs
- Food Safety knowledge a plus
- Knowledge of AS Dining Services operations a plus
- Experience with aeroponic systems not required but will be considered when choosing the best applicant for this position.
- Please list previous work history and volunteer experience.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community in the workplace and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.