Unitrans: Transit Driver
Name: Michael Lenihan
You can visit the Unitrans website to learn more about them.
Payrate Stipend: No
Work Study: N/A
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: 15 hrs/week
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: Indefinite
Job Number: 0009-3381-2019
Last Date to Apply: Sept. 15, 2019
Responsible for safely operating Unitrans vehicles in daily operation. Applicants MUST be able to complete their training during Fall 2019. The pay rate will increase to$15.25/hr on January 1,2020.
The successful candidate may hold this position through expected graduation date based on satisfactory performance in the position.
Unitrans is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
- Maintain safe and reliable transit operations
- Operate Unitrans vehicles in both regular and charter services
- Responsible for taking fare, issuing transfers, tend to customer service questions about routes, schedule, fares etc.
- Maintain on-time performance and keep accurate passenger counts
- Must be available for classroom training, behind-the-wheel training, and subsequent re-training as required
- Required to work the designated minimum hours as defined by the Transit Driver Manager
- Required to work 1-3 on-call hours per quarter
- Required to attend three MANDATORY meetings per quarter
- Must obtain a class B commercial license with passenger endorsement (all necessary training is paid for and provided)
- Must be able to work some extra hours when required to ensure complete operation
- Must possess an accurate time piece (wrist watch) displaying hours, minutes, and seconds
- Ability to exercise a high degree of individual responsibility
- Ability to effectively interact with individuals with diverse backgrounds, skills, and abilities.
- Must have a class C license (standard driver’s license) that is valid in one of the 50 US States for a year.
- ATTENTION: Must be able to complete training as follows:
a. The Training Program consists of three sections:
i. Classroom Training
1. Classroom Training is two to three 2 -2.5 hour long sessions where you go over federal regulations, cover topics relevant to being a Transit Driver, and prepare to pass the Class B Permit Test.
ii. Driver Training (DT)
1. After you pass the permit test, you will begin Driver Training. Each Trainee will begin training one-on-one with a Driver Trainer to prepare for the Class B License Test. Driver Training consists of fifteen 3-4 hour phases.You will be expected to work 12-15 hours per week during Driver Training including weekends.
iii. Route Training (RT)
1. When you pass you Class B License Test, you are ready to start Route Training. RT will have you working in service, with passengers, and a Route Trainer who will teach you company policy and advanced driving techniques. After about 3 to 6 weeks of sufficient observation, you will be released into service as a fully-fledged Transit Driver!
Applications selected are required to pass a pre-employment drug test prior to being offered this position. Successful applicants are subjected to a Criminal Background Check prior to starting Behind the Wheel Training. Successful applicants will also be part of a random drug and alcohol testing pool as defined by federal regulations 49 CFR PART 40.
- Develop management and interpersonal skills and gain experience talking to many different kinds of people.
- Work in a friendly, comfortable environment.
- Hours are flexible.
- Become a part of the Unitrans family and make friends for life.
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community in the workplace and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please list previous work history and volunteer experience.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.