California Aggie: Cartoonist (Volunteer)
Name: Taryn DeOilers
You can visit the California Aggie website to learn more about them.
Payrate Stipend: No
Work Study: No
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: 5-10 hours/week
Start Date: Sept. 23, 2019
End Date: June 4, 2020
Job Number: 0001-3386-2019
Last Date to Apply: Sept. 20, 2019
California Aggie cartoonists are responsible for completing one cartoon each week for the ten weeks of the quarter on a topic of their choosing. Cartoons may be either single-panel or comic strip, and they may be funny, serious, or informative.
As part of your employment, you are required to subscribe to the ASUCD newsletter.
Applicants are required to submit, along with a resume and answers to the vacancy questions:
A specific biography, including your name, major, and interests.
Five potential cartoons and a brief description of each.
One sample cartoon.
Please attach these materials to your resume. Applications without supplemental materials will not be considered.
The Aggie receives many applications for cartoons about national politics, current events, and the Tercero cows, so make sure that your take on these or other popular issues is extremely original or unusual. Otherwise, we highly encourage applicants to pursue other topics. The most successful cartoons will be unique and relevant to students and the Davis community as a whole. Cartoonists are free to write and illustrate topics of their choosing, but editors reserve the right to enforce standards of decency, good taste, and professionalism. Content that is deemed to be overly profane, offensive, hateful, or otherwise inappropriate will not be published.
- Cartoonists will submit one piece each week for the ten consecutive weeks of the quarter, to be published online or in print.
- Attend weekly desk meetings to pitch ideas and collaborate with other cartoonists.
- Meet with editor one-on-one each week to edit incoming cartoons for content, grammar and style.
- Attend quarterly evaluations with desk editor to discuss progress.
- Attend quarterly Aggie all-staff meetings.
- This role may require work on nights and weekends.
- Awareness of audience and readership, and respect for appropriate choices of topic to publish in a professional newspaper.
- Knowledge of standards and ethics of journalism
- Knowledge of Aggie Code of Ethics and AP/Aggie Style
- Strong artistic skills
- Constructive and quick communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and time management skills
- Ability to work well under deadline pressure and deal with adversity and stress
- Approximately 5 - 10 hours per week are required. This amount of time will vary according to the paper's production schedule and other factors.
- To avoid bias and conflicts of interest, humor writers cannot hold any other position at The Aggie while on the opinion desk. Humor writers should disclose any real or perceived conflicts of interest to the opinion editor.
- Please list previous work history and volunteer experience.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community in the workplace and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.