California Aggie: Advertising Sales Representative
Name: Laurie Pederson
You can visit the California Aggie website to learn more about them.
Payrate: $12/hr + 10 percent commission on local sales (pending budget approval - refer to budget for weeks paid)
Payrate Stipend: Yes
Work Study: No
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: 8 hours/week
Start Date: Oct. 1, 2019
End Date: June 5, 2020
Job Number: 0001-3394-2019
Last Date to Apply: Sept. 16, 2019
Advertising sales representatives are responsible for supporting The California Aggie's advertising sales functions by providing a connection to the local business community for marketing purposes. Advertising sales representatives are managed by The Aggie’s business development manager
As part of your employment, you are required to subscribe to the ASUCD newsletter.
- Maintain minimum 4 hours per week. (2 hours in office + 2 hours in the community)
- Provide regular communication and outreach to local businesses to sell and facilitate print and online advertising submissions for assigned clients and/or territories.
- Maintain customer database and sales contact activity on Google Drive.
- Meet the revenue target set by the business development manager
- Promote special issues, sections, and sales promotions.
- Consult with clients on advertising design and placement.
- Negotiate contracts based on advertiser frequency and budget.
- Develop advertising proposals and campaigns.
- Submit and track advertising credit applications for advertisers.
- Settle advertising disputes with authorization from business development manager
- Pitch in to assist with all advertising functions as needed.
- Follow established advertising deadlines, procedures and processes.
- Constructive and quick communication skills in person, over the phone, and in writing
- Organizational, time management, and multitasking skills
- Understanding of print and online marketing (and what the difference is).
- Ability to receive instructions and to bring client’s copy, vision and request to design staff.
- Knowledge of advertising, sales promotion, and ad design/copywriting helpful.
- Quick learner
- Must contact local businesses and act as The Aggie’s ambassador to introduce our products.
- Ability to work well under deadline pressure and deal with adversity and stress
- 4 hours per week are required. This amount of time each day will vary according to the paper's production schedule and other factors.
- To avoid bias and maintain standards of journalistic objectivity, advertising sales representatives should disclose all real or perceived conflicts of interest during their interview. Advertising sales representatives may not produce creative content for The Aggie while working in the advertising department.
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community in the workplace and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please list previous work history and volunteer experience.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.