California Aggie: Layout Artist (Volunteer)
Name: Kaelyn Tuermer-Lee
You can visit the California Aggie website to learn more about them.
Payrate Stipend: No
Work Study: No
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: Varies between approx. 2-5 hrs/wk depending on individual circumstances. Hours beyond specified hours per week are considered volunteer educational experience.
Start Date: April 6, 2020
End Date: June 30, 2020
Job Number: 0001-3706-2020
Last Date to Apply: April 5, 2020
Layout artists are responsible for completing assigned pages each week and placing stories, photos, graphics, and advertisements onto spreads. Pages can be completed independently, but artists are expected to make all edits inside the office.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
- Complete all assigned pages on a timely basis
- Design graphics when necessary
- Attend quarterly desk meeting with other layout artists and graphics designers
- Attend quarterly all staff meeting for The Aggie staff.
- Journalistic background
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite,especially InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Strong knowledge of AP News Values and Principles and AP Standards and Practices
- Attention to detail and eye for aesthetically pleasing newspaper design
- Constructive and quick communication skills
- Organizational skills and time management skills
- Ability to work well under deadline pressure and deal with adversity and stress
- Approximately 2-5 hours per week are required. This amount of time will vary according to the paper's production schedule and other factors.
- To avoid bias and maintain standards of journalistic objectivity, layout artists should disclose all real or perceived conflicts of interest during their interview.
- Please list previous experience as it pertains to the position.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.