Student Government: Ethnic & Cultural Affairs Commissioner
Name: Yalda Saii
Payrate Stipend: No
Work Study: No
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: Varies between approx. 5-8 hrs/wk depending on individual circumstances.
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: June 10, 2021
Job Number: 0008-3764-2020
Last Date to Apply: May 21, 2020
The Ethnic and Cultural Affairs Commission (ECAC) is responsible for investigating and recommending policies and programs concerning under-represented communities at UC Davis. The commission accomplishes this task by establishing liaison and achieving rapport with all on-campus and off-campus bodies affecting said communities and their quality of life at the University. Comprised of nine members and up to four alternates, the commission welcomes visitors as its weekly meetings.
Our goal is to represent historically marginalized groups who face barriers in terms of institutionalized, internalized, and systemic oppression. We are here to propose legislation and support events that honor different ethnic, racial, and cultural backgrounds. We will voice your concerns to empower cross-cultural interaction in order to represent and bring awareness within our communities, student body, and the University of California, Davis.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
- Commissioners must attend and actively participate in commission meetings and projects - assist in passing of legislation, grants, and funding
- Coordinate events or outreach to student orgs
- Provide input and effective solutions to the issues that affect underrepresented communities on our campus
- Open mind and positive attitude
- Ability to collaborate well with others
- Good writing & communication skills
- A level of cross-cultural understanding
- Previous and/or present connection to various ethnic or cultural organizations preferred; but, not required
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
- Please list previous experience as it pertains to the position.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.