Coffee House: Coffee House Kitchen Student Manager
Name: Alex Rios
You can visit the Coffee House website to learn more about them.
Payrate Stipend: No
Work Study: Yes
Resume Required: No
Hours per Week: Varies, approx. 17 hrs/wk depending on individual circumstances.
Start Date: June 7, 2021
End Date: Indefinite
Job Number: 0014-4214-2021
Last Date to Apply: May 27, 2021
The Coffee House is looking for a motivated, qualified student to take on the role of Kitchen Student Manager. The Coffee House is a unique, primarily student-staffed food service operation focused on offering sustainable, made-from-scratch menu items to the UC Davis community.
Preferred Experience: The ideal candidate selected for the role of Student Manager should be well versed in the operation of the Coffee House kitchen, preferably spending at least a year as an entry-level employee and a year as an area supervisor. The Student Manager should have a good grasp of production levels, food quality standards, vegetable prep techniques, baking technique, safety & sanitation protocol and everything else that goes into the success of the Coffee House kitchen; and by extension, the Coffee House as a whole.
The student in the role of Kitchen Student Manager will be expected to set a strong moral and ethical example for their peers, lead groups effectively to achieve goals and to communicate with the AS Dining Services management team on a regular basis, acting as a liaison between the student employee staff and the career management.
The student selected will finish their time as Student Manager having gained broad experience in various aspects of food service management, including recipe development, pricing techniques, quality and portion control, employee training, customer service and marketing.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
- Act as a liaison between the Kitchen Manager and all kitchen student employees; monitor morale, work performance and adherence to Coffee House policies and procedures
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the Coffee House kitchen, focusing on daily production schedules, sanitation policy adherence and workplace safety
- Actively participate in weekly management meetings
- Collaborate with Out Front staff to ensure open communication and efficient service
- Assist in training new employees and re-training existing employees
- Assess and recommend approaches to improving overall efficiency and quality of service to Coffee House customers
- Assist Kitchen Manager in fulfilling catering orders
- Ensure that all food quality standards are being met at all times
- Responsible for thorough and efficient openings and closings of all kitchen-staffed areas
- Communicate any equipment-related issues or operational problems to Kitchen Manager to ensure solutions are reached in a timely manner.
- Must be a UC Davis student
- Able to work at least 17 hours per week with additional hours during special events (i.e. Picnic Day) and over Winter and Spring breaks
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent leadership skills
- Excellent organization and multi-tasking skills
- Must have displayed an excellent work ethic and a high moral standard
- Must be available all September 2021 to help prepare for Fall Quarter
- Please list previous experience as it pertains to the position.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.