Student Government: Ethnic and Cultural Affairs Commission Vice Chairperson
Name: Yalda Saii
Payrate Stipend: No
Work Study: No
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: Varies between approx. 8-10 hrs/wk depending on individual circumstances.
Start Date: Sept. 20, 2021
End Date: June 9, 2022
Job Number: 0008-4230-2021
Last Date to Apply: May 24, 2021
The Ethnic and Cultural Affairs Commission (ECAC) is responsible for investigating and recommending policies and programs concerning under-represented communities at UC Davis. The commission accomplishes this task by establishing liaison and achieving rapport with all on-campus and off-campus bodies affecting said communities and their quality of life at the University. Comprised of nine members and up to four alternates, the commission welcomes visitors as its weekly meetings.
Our goal is to represent historically marginalized groups who face barriers in terms of institutionalized, internalized, and systemic oppression. We are here to propose legislation and support events that honor different ethnic, racial, and cultural backgrounds. We will voice your concerns to empower cross-cultural interaction in order to represent and bring awareness within our communities, student body, and the University of California, Davis.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
- Help the chair with coordinating and undergoing projects and communicating to the rest of the commission
- Vice Chairperson must attend and actively participate in commission meetings and projects (legislation, etc.)
- Coordinate events or outreach to student orgs
- Provide input and effective solutions to the issues that affect underrepresented groups on campus
- If needed, sit in place of the chairperson at Senate meetings
- If needed, facilitate meetings with the commission
- Knowledge about and passion for social justice
- Open mind and positive attitude
- Ability to collaborate well with others
- Good writing & communication skills
- Previous and/or present connection to various ethnic or cultural organizations preferred
- Please list previous experience as it pertains to the position.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.