Coffee House: CoHo Kitchen Student Supervisor
Name: Alex Rios
You can visit the Coffee House website to learn more about them.
Payrate Stipend: No
Work Study: Yes
Resume Required: No
Hours per Week: Varies between approx. 15 hrs/wk depending on individual circumstances.
Start Date: Aug. 16, 2021
End Date: Indefinite
Job Number: 0014-4277-2021
Last Date to Apply: June 24, 2021
ASDS is looking for a motivated, qualified student to take on the role of Kitchen Student Supervisor. The Coffee House is a primarily student-staffed food service operation focused on offering sustainable, made-from-scratch menu items to the UC Davis community.
The student selected for the role of Student Supervisor should be well versed in the operation of the Coffee House procedures, preferably spending at least a quarter as an entry-level employee. The student selected for Student Supervisor will work in one of three areas specific to the kitchen: Bakery, Hot Kitchen or Cold Kitchen/Grab and Go. The Student Supervisor should have a good grasp of production levels, food quality and portion control standards, safety & sanitation protocol, customer service techniques and everything else that goes into the success of the operation; and by extension, AS Dining Services as a whole.
The student in the role of Kitchen Student Supervisor will be expected to set a strong moral and ethical example for their peers, lead groups effectively to achieve goals and to communicate with the AS Dining Services Career Managers and Student Managers on a regular basis, acting as a liaison between the student employee staff and the management staff.
The student selected will finish their time as Student Supervisor having gained broad experience in various aspects of food service management, including quality and portion control, production oversight, employee training and customer service.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
- Act as a liaison between the Career Managers and student employees; monitor morale, work performance and adherence to the operation’s policies and procedures
- Oversee day-to-day operations product consistency, portion control & sanitation policy adherence and workplace safety.
- Assist in training new employees and re-training existing employees
- Assess and recommend approaches to improving overall efficiency and quality of service to customers
- Assist Career Managers with facility upkeep
- Communicate any equipment-related issues or operational problems to Career Managers to ensure solutions are reached in a timely manner.
- Work as the supervisor of Dish Room for at least 1 hour per week
Hot Kitchen Supervisor
- Responsible for oversight of all hot food production for all service platforms (ie: spanish rice, beans, sauces, entrees, etc.)
- Responsible for all production from the bakery kitchen (ie: pizza dough, cookie batter, cakes, muffins, etc)
- Responsible for baking all scratch-made baked goods
Cold Kitchen/Grab and Go Supervisor
- Responsible for ensuring grab and go orders are made to the correct specifications and in the correct amounts
- Responsible for oversight of all vegetable preparation, deli salad preparation, meat and cheese slicing, etc.
If selected, new Kitchen Student Supervisor will be REQUIRED to attend all the events listed below.
Mass hire event: remotely one day during the week of July 19th. More information will be given if offered the position.
Leadership training: remotely the week of August 16th.
Orientation: remotely at the end of August, exact date to be determined (times will vary).
Hands-on training sessions: in person Tuesday, September 7th through Friday, September 17th excluding the weekend (times will vary).
Supervisor meeting and kitchen preparation: Sunday, September 19th.
You MUST be available for training during all training weeks... NO EXCEPTIONS!
Regular Fall quarter schedules will begin on Monday, September 20th.
Please attach a screenshot of your Fall quarter schedule from My Schedule Builder in weekly calendar view. You can attach this by clicking “Choose a file” on the Resume page of the application.
- Must be a UC Davis student
- Able to work at least 15 hours per week with additional hours during special events (i.e. Picnic Day), including opening and closing shifts (as early as 8am and as late as 5pm)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent leadership skills
- Excellent organization and multi-tasking skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Must have displayed an excellent work ethic and a high moral standard
- Please list previous experience as it pertains to the position.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.