Student Government: Interim Senator
Name: Ryan Manriquez
Payrate: $14/hour (pending budget approval - refer to budget for weeks paid)
Payrate Stipend: No
Work Study: No
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: Approximately 14 hours per week, depending on individual circumstances. Any hours beyond specified commitment will be considered additional volunteer experience.
Start Date: Sept. 27, 2021
End Date: Dec. 5, 2021
Job Number: 0008-4294-2021
Last Date to Apply: June 20, 2021
The ASUCD Senate is responsible for maintenance, use, and title to all ASUCD property, allocation of all ASUCD revenues, and the development of all policies and regulations necessary for the smooth and efficient operation of ASUCD. The Senate consists of twelve (12) elected members of the student body who represent the student voice at UC Davis. The Senate consists of twenty-two members, but only the twelve (12) Senators have the ability to vote.
As an ASUCD Senator, you would be a representative of the undergraduate student body, steward of student fees and oversight member of the $14.55 million dollar budget of services ASUCD provides.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
- Attend all meetings of the ASUCD Senate (every Thursday from 6pm until completion). If you are not sure that you can fulfill this requirement, please contact the President with your concerns.
- Fulfill all duties enumerated by the ASUCD Constitution and Bylaws.
- Stewarding student fees and assisting in development of student services and units.
- Represent student interests to campus entities.
- Work on projects/platforms to improve quality of student experience.
- Strong communication skills, including via public speaking, formal writing, and e-communication; ability to speak in public clearly, authoritatively, and concisely.
- Strong work ethic and leadership skills.
- Passion for meeting the needs of the student body.
- Strong listening skills.
- Propensity for treating others fairly and impartially.
- Propensity for understanding one's own biases and privileges; open mindedness.
- Respect for, and ability to empathize with, people of diverse backgrounds.
- Entry-level understanding of the ASUCD internal structure and governing documents is preferred.
- Ability to critically read, evaluate, and properly execute written governing codes.
- Respect for rules/procedures of an organization.
- Familiarity with Zoom (preferred)
- Commitment to serving in the position.
- Recognition of what one does not know, and strong interest in learning more about ASUCD.
- Previous experience with ASUCD, parliamentary procedure, law, policy, nonprofit management, budget, finance, and/or public service are all helpful, but not required; applicants of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- Please list previous experience as it pertains to the position.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.