Student Government: Interim International Student Representative
Name: Ryan Manriquez
Payrate Stipend: No
Work Study: No
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: Approximately 11 hours per week, depending on individual circumstances.
Start Date: Sept. 27, 2021
End Date: Dec. 5, 2021
Job Number: 0008-4349-2021
Last Date to Apply: Aug. 11, 2021
The purpose of the International Student Representative (ISR), is to represent the international student community on the ASUCD Senate table and beyond by bringing together members of the UC Davis community, including both international and domestic students to voice and highlight the concerns of international students. The ISR will provide valuable input about issues pertaining to the international student body to the rest of the ASUCD Senate on a weekly basis. The ISR will strive to act as a resource for international students by programmatically working with clubs and organizations that support international students, institutionalizing necessary resources at UC Davis, making international students more aware of the resources ASUCD and the university have to offer, listening to the grievances of international students, advocating on their behalf to the administration, celebrating the diversity on campus, providing an information system that aids in answering their questions, and collaborating with the appropriate departments, including ASUCD, in ways to better provide for international students.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
- Attend all meetings of the ASUCD Senate (every Thursday from 6:00 PM until completion.) If you ar not sure that you can fulfill this requirement, please contact the President with your concerns.
- Actively engaging with the international student body and actively promoting, initiating, and supporting efforts to make UC Davis an equitable environment for international students.
- Remaining in consistent contact with the Services for International Students and Scholars (SISS), UC Davis Global Affairs, ASUCD's Ethnic and Cultural Affairs Commission, ASUCD's Extrnal Affairs Commission, Aggie Compass - Basic Needs Center, Undergraduate Financial Aid Office; and any other department, program, organization, or entity which provides services for the international student body.
- Administering the Office of the International Student Representative (OISR) and organizing staff meetings at least once per week.
- Hiring students to fill the positions within OISR as needed.
- Serving as the ASUCD representative to the Committee on International Education of the UC Davis Academic Senate.
- Serving as the UC Davis representative to the University of California Student Association (UCSA) International Student Coalition.
- Strong communication skills, including via public speaking, formal writing, and e-communication; ability to speak in public clearly, authoritatively, and concisely.
- Strong work ethic and leadership skills.
- Passion for international student advocacy and familiarity with the international student community at UC Davis.
- Passion for meeting the needs of the student body.
- Strong listening skills.
- Propensity for treating others fairly and impartially.
- Propensity for understanding one's own biases and privileges; open mindedness.
- Respect for, and ability to include and empathize with, people of diverse backgrounds.
- Respect for rules/ procedures of an organization.
- Commitment to serving in the position.
- Recognition of what one does not know, and strong interest in learning more about ASUCD.
- Previous experience with ASUCD, parliamentary procedure, law, policy, budget, finance, and/or public service are all helpful, but not required. Applicants of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- Please list previous experience as it pertains to the position.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.