Unitrans: Route Supervisor Manager
Name: Janet Diaz
You can visit the Unitrans website to learn more about them.
Payrate Stipend: No
Work Study: No
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: 19.5 hrs/week
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: Indefinite
Job Number: 0009-4656-2022
Last Date to Apply: Jan. 12, 2022
Manage Unitrans immediate operations to ensure that safe and reliable transit service is being provided
for the University and the City of Davis.
The successful candidate may hold this position through expected graduation date based on satisfactory
performance in the position.
Unitrans is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
I. Hire new route supervisors
a. Interview and debrief applicants for open Route Supervisor positions.
b. Participate in the selection and training of the subsequent Route Supervisor Manager.
c. Hire and train RSM Assistant
II. Train and refresh route supervisors
a. Conduct initial classroom training for new supervisors.
b. Schedule and lead fluids and fuel safety training for new route supervisors, and driver trainers
c. Implement individualized training for new supervisors and ensure each supervisor is competent at
all aspects of the job before they complete the training process.
d. Debrief supervisors after completion of training.
e. Plan out quarterly Supervisor Refresher.
III. Ensure Immediate Execution and Supervision of Unitrans Service.
a. Schedule FTA mandated drug tests for supervisors, drivers, and
b. Resolve conflicts amongst Route Supervisors.
c. Provide operations and service related information and protocol to Route Supervisors.
d. Lead Weekly Supervisor Meetings and post meeting minutes
e. Conduct Supervisor Mandatory and Priority to ensure all shifts are covered.
f. Schedule Route Supervisors for all times Unitrans runs service.
g. Maintain shift calendar to reflect weekly shift assignments.
h. Serve as on call Supervisor for uncovered supervisor shifts.
i. Work with the Operations Manager to implement contingency plans for previously announced service
j. Maintain an inventory of necessary equipment needed for supervisors and daily operations including
forms and miscellaneous items on buses and in the office.
k. Understand and carry out the Unitrans Emergency Operations Plan if needed.
IV. Work with other Unitrans unit managers to solve service related issues and projects
a. Work with career and student managers, supervisors, and assistants in an effort to improve the efficiency
of service, address service needs as they arise, and maintain optimal working conditions for supervisors,
drivers, conductors and fellow Unitrans employees.
b. Assist the HRM and TDM with personnel related issues involving supervisors and drivers.
c. Participate in planning process to provide an operational perspective.
d. Work closely with maintenance staff to ensure an appropriate number of buses are operational to meet
V. Update and document service related operational training
a. Route Supervisor Manual
b. Fluids Training Manual
c. Route Supervisor Manager Manual
Must be a Unitrans Route Supervisor with a minimum of two quarters since finishing Route Supervisor
The skills, knowledge, and abilities necessary to perform the duties of the Unitrans Route Supervisor
Manager may be acquired, to a large extent, through on-the-job training and experience. Only general,
fundamental attributes necessary for this position are listed below.
1. Ability to exercise a high degree of independent responsibility.
2. Ability to develop reasonable and innovative solutions for daily operational problems.
3. Ability to communicate clearly and professionally with all Unitrans employees.
4. Knowledge of Unitrans daily operations.
5. Must be RT trained
6. Strong organizational skills.
7. Demonstrated interpersonal and public relations skills in employee management.
8. Demonstrated conflict resolution skills.
9. Must be accessible to all Unitrans employees.
10. Must be available for on-the-job training during the remainder of Spring Quarter.
11. Must be able to work the entire summer of 2022 through spring 2023.
12. Must not have a graduation date any sooner than Winter 2023
13. Must be able to work the entirety of Picnic Day Service on 4/17/22
14. Been a solo supe for a minimum of 2 quarters by the time of application
15. Submit complete resume and cover letter.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
- Please list experience as it pertains to the position.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.