Unitrans: Transit Driver Manager
Name: Kimberly Terry
You can visit the Unitrans website to learn more about them.
Payrate: $20.00/hr (pending budget approval - refer to budget for weeks paid)
Payrate Stipend: No
Work Study: No
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: Approximately 10-19.5 hours per week depending on individual circumstances.
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: Indefinite
Job Number: 0009-4737-2022
Last Date to Apply: March 21, 2022
Responsible for all Transit Drivers, including hiring, representing, and disciplining.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
- Must be a current Unitrans Transit Driver employee in good standing.
- Must be a current Unitrans Transit Driver who has become a solo driver prior to the start of Fall Quarter 2021.
- Must be able and eligible to work through Spring 2023 under ASUCD regulations.
- Familiarity with Unitrans, its various departments, and policies.
- Must be available for on-the-job training during Spring Quarter 2022 prior to assuming full Transit Driver Manager duties at Spring Finals Mandatory.
Assistant General Manager, Operations.
1. Hiring Transit Drivers
a. Communicate with the Training Manager to coordinate hiring dates.
b. Communicate with HRM to recruit and schedule hiring dates.
c. Hire at least once a quarter.
2. Ensure staff adherence to Unitrans polocies including the Unitrans Strike System
a. Create and maintain the Unitrans Strike System.
b. Issue strikes to employees.
c. Relay strike notifications and respond to strike contests.
d. Issue Strike Probation, and initiate and implement disciplinary actions.
a. Organize shift selection for Transit Drivers.
b. Calculate and set quarterly hour minimums for all transit drivers (including those holding other positions).
c. Oversee bi-quarterly priority shift selection and generate the priority lists.
d. Organize and lead (3) madatory meetings per quarter.
e. Approve/deny Reduced Hours forms and Leave of Absence forms for Transit Drivers, and relay information to HRM.
4. Driver Representative
a. Drive an appropriate amount of weekly Transit Driving shifts to maintain the knowledge base and experience requires to be an appropriate representative of the Transit Drivers.
b. Represent Transit Drivers at weekly Managers Meetings.
c. Implement policies or changes that will augment the driver position and ensure that drivers are students first.
a. Hold weekly office hours.
b. Publish the TDM Reference Guide.
c. Schedule all dates of Priority, Mandatory, and Forms Deadlines.
d. Keep track of active transit drivers and their graduation dates.
e. Communicate regularly with Transit Drivers with updates.
f. Meet with Transit Drivers to resolve schedule conflicts.
g. Meet with newly solo drivers to go over UNI and schedule their shifts.
h. Oversee Transit Driver Manager's Assistants.
i. Meet weekly with TDM Assistants to conjure projects and delegate tasks.
The qualifications necessary to perform the duties of the Unitrans Transit Driver Manager may be acquired, to a large extent, through on-the-job training and experience. General, fundamental attributes necessary for this position are listed below:
- Exercise sound, independent judgement.
- Demonstrate strong leadership abilities.
- Demonstrate strong listening and communication skills.
- Demonstrate strong organizational and planning skills.
- Demonstrate conflict resolution skills.
- Exercise tact and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive, complex, and confidential personnel issues.
- Ability to work effectively with other Unitrans departments.
- Ability to prepare clear, concise, and comprehensive correspondence and other written materials.
- Please list previous experience as it pertains to the position.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please UC Davis Principles of Community
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.