Unitrans: Transit Driver
Name: Magali Najera
You can visit the Unitrans website to learn more about them.
Payrate Stipend: No
Work Study: No
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: 15 hrs/week
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: Indefinite
Job Number: 0009-4982-2022
Last Date to Apply: Oct. 6, 2022
Responsible for safely operating Unitrans vehicles in daily operation.
The successful candidate may hold this position through the expected graduation date (no sooner than Fall 2023) based on satisfactory performance in the position.
Unitrans is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
Maintain safe and reliable transit operations
Operate Unitrans vehicles in both regular and charter services
Responsible for taking fares, issuing transfers, tend to customer service questions about routes, schedule, fares etc.
Maintain on-time performance and keep accurate passenger counts
Must be available for classroom training, behind-the-wheel training, and subsequent re-training as required
Must be at least 18 years old.
Ability to exercise a high degree of individual responsibility.
Ability to effectively interact with individuals with diverse backgrounds, skills, and abilities.
Have had a Class C Driver’s License issued within the United States for at least one year, or be able to obtain one.
Must obtain a class B commercial license with passenger endorsement (all necessary training is paid for and provided).
Required to work the designated minimum hours as defined by the Transit Driver Manager
Required to work 1-3 on-call hours per quarter.
Required to attend three MANDATORY meetings per quarter.
Must be able to work some extra hours when required to ensure complete operation.
Must possess an accurate timepiece (wrist watch) displaying hours, minutes, and seconds.
ATTENTION: Must be able to complete training as follows:
a. The Training Program consists of three sections:
i. Classroom Training
1. Classroom Training is two to three 2 -2.5 hour long sessions where you go over federal regulations, cover topics relevant to being a Transit Driver, and prepare to pass the Class B Permit Test.
ii. Driver Training (DT)
1. After you pass the permit test, you will begin Driver Training. Each Trainee will begin training one-on-one with a Driver Trainer to prepare for the Class B License Test. Driver Training consists of fifteen 3-4 hour phases. You will be expected to work 8-12 hours per week during Driver Training including weekends.
iii. Route Training (RT)
1. When you pass the Class B License Test, you are ready to start Route Training. RT will have you working in service, with passengers, and a Route Trainer who will teach you company policy and advanced driving techniques. After about 3 to 6 weeks of sufficient observation, you will be released into service as a fully-fledged Transit Driver!
Applications selected are required to pass a pre-employment drug test prior to being offered this position. Successful applicants are subjected to a Criminal Background Check prior to starting Behind the Wheel Training. Successful applicants will also be part of a random drug and alcohol testing pool as defined by federal regulations 49 CFR PART 40.
Develop management and interpersonal skills, gaining experience speaking to diverse communities
Work in a friendly, comfortable environment.
Hours are flexible.
Become a part of the Unitrans family and make friends for life.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please list previous experience as it pertains to the position.
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.