California Aggie: Editor (2) (Summer)
Name: Sophie Dewees
You can visit the California Aggie website to learn more about them.
Payrate Stipend: No
Work Study: No
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: 8 hours/week (refer to budget for hours paid)
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: Sept. 17, 2022
Job Number: 0001-5031-2022
Last Date to Apply: Aug. 9, 2022
Approximately 13-15 hours per week are required. This amount of time will vary according to the paper's production schedule and other factors.
The Arts Editor is responsible for coverage of arts, entertainment and news events, both reporting and reviewing. This includes coverage of art organizations, films, concerts, records, plays, fine art exhibits and cultural events as student interest and focus necessitates.
The sports editor is responsible for coverage of all ICA athletic competitions, games, and tournaments for the UC Davis sports teams. The sports editor is also responsible for club and intramural sporting events, team spotlights, and player or coach features at their discretion.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
- Supervise a staff of 8-12 staff writers
- Hold desk meetings to gather story ideas and coordinate with managing editor to ensure a steady flow of content. Assign stories to writers in accordance with established policies, keeping in mid potential conflicts of interest.
- Edit incoming stories for content, grammar, and style and channel content into the copy desk for editing by deadlines. Conduct in-person editing with staff writers for every article to ensure continued growth and development
- Complete story list and assign photos/graphics for each article. Fill out social media matrix to ensure articles are posted on Aggie social media sites.
- Train new staff writers on Aggie and AP policies
- Serve on the Editorial Board; attend Editorial Board meetings and storyboard meetings
- Because the Aggie Editors sit on the Editorial Board, they cannot be affiliated with any other publication or the ASUCD Government
- Table for The Aggie weekly and assist with morning distribution once a quarter.
- Must complete UC Managing Implicit Bias Series from University of California Learning Center within two weeks of being hired or have completed the series in the past year.
- Journalistic background
- Strong knowledge of AP News Values and Principles and AP Standards and Practices
- Strong writing, editing, and copyediting skills
- Constructive and quick communication skills
- Please list previous experience as it pertains to the position.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.