Unitrans: Shop Assistant
Name: Shawn Shockey
You can visit the Unitrans website to learn more about them.
Payrate Stipend: No
Work Study: No
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: Varies between approx. 12-16 hrs/wk depending on individual circumstances
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: Indefinite
Job Number: 0009-5038-2022
Last Date to Apply: Aug. 25, 2022
Assist Maintenance Personnel in all functions related to bus maintenance including heavy component changes.
The successful candidate may hold this position through the expected graduation date based on satisfactory performance in the position.
Unitrans is an equal opportunity employer.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
Must be able to commit to a minimum of TWO years working as a Shop Assistant while an Undergraduate. Must not graduate sooner than Spring 2024.
The position is in-person, on-campus and Unitrans follows all University and County COVID-19 protocols.
A. Perform functions as necessary:
1. Pick up and deliver bus parts.
2. Clean up around the shop area.
3. Change bus advertising signs.
4.Transport mail and equipment from the maintenance facility to the business office.
5. Utilize heavy duty machinery as instructed/requested. This may include such tools as the radial saw, power drills, and the parts washer.
B. Perform preventative maintenance functions:
1. Perform interval servicing as required by accepted industry standards, including lube, change oil, change filters, pack wheel bearings, etc.
2. Make entries into maintenance records to reflect vehicle servicing.
3. Perform routinemaintenance associated with interval servicing, including tire changes and minor repairs.
4. Perform other maintenance functions such as facility maintenance and clean-up
C. Remove and install major components:
1. Remove components which require service, replacement, or repair. Components include, but are not limited to, engines, transmissions, starters, alternators, and air compressors.
2. Install and test replacement components.
D. Handle road calls:
1. Respond to requests for assistance for in-service buses having mechanical problems.
2. Provide replacement buses as necessary
The skills, knowledge, and abilities necessary to perform the duties of the Unitrans Shop Assistant may be acquired, to a large degree, through on-the-job training and experience. Only general, fundamental attributes necessary for this position are listed.
1. Ability to obtain a Class B License and willingness to drive both.
NOTE: Obtaining class B training with Unitrans is NOT required but will result in a $0.25/hour merit wage increase
2. Ability to exercise a high degree of independent responsibility.
3. Ability to communicate along all lines of authority.
4. Willingness to work with high pressure Compressed Natural Gas that would be in use on alternative fuel buses.
5. Organizational skills.
6. Ability to lift heavy equipment.
7. Preferencewill be given to individuals available during Summer Sessions 1 & 2
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 –Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.
- Develop management and interpersonal skills and gain experience talking to many kinds of people.
- Strengthen organizational skills
- Work in a friendly, comfortable environment
- Hours are flexible
- Become part of the Unitrans family and make friends for life.
- Please list previous experience as it pertains to the position.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.