Whole Earth Festival: Spacekeepers (Security) Coordinator (2)
Name: Madeline Dei Rossi
You can visit the Whole Earth Festival website to learn more about them.
Payrate: Volunteer with one time stipend of $650.00 paid after completion of duties. (pending budget approval - refer to budget for weeks paid)
Payrate Stipend: Yes
Work Study: No
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: Approx 5 hours/week depending on individual circumstances. Hours beyond specified hours per week are considered volunteer educational experience.
Start Date: Jan. 9, 2023
End Date: June 1, 2023
Job Number: 0021-5067-2022
Last Date to Apply: Oct. 30, 2022
The SpaceKeepers (Security) Coordinators are responsible for overseeing that the festival runs smoothly and employing nonviolence as a style of conflict management should conflicts arise at the festival. You will be circulating at the festival to take care of any problems that may arise.
The Whole Earth Festival began in 1969 as a small art class project (“Art Happening”) on the UC Davis Quad to teach community members about activism, wellness, and environmental sustainability in an interactive and creative way. Following the United Nations’ recognition of Earth Day in 1970, the event was renamed as the “Whole Earth Festival” and has since evolved into an enormous, free, student-run event, attracting over 30,000 visitors annually on Mother’s Day Weekend.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
- Help facilitate nonviolence training workshops for volunteers
- Collaborate with Chaos Control Coordinators to help recruit volunteers for the festival, especially for Spacekeeping duties
- Attend CC (Chaos Control) meetings held once a week starting 3 weeks prior to the festival (3 total)
- Circulate during open hours of the festival and implement nonviolence principles to divert conflicts
- Help with set up and clean up for the festival
[Obligations for ALL WEF members]
Attend weekly meetings starting Fall Quarter until the festival
Must be available for the Weekend of the Festival: May 12-14, 2023
Must commit to helping set up and clean up the days leading up to the festival (May 10-11, 2023) and the day after the festival (May 15, 2023)
Must submit a monthly Volunteer Report to Directors online
- Familiar with Google Drive and its functions
- Good communication skills
- Collaborates well with others
- Comfortable with leadership position
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please list previous experience as it pertains to the position.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.