Whole Earth Festival: Compost & Recycling Coordinator (2)
Name: Carla McEwen
You can visit the Whole Earth Festival website to learn more about them.
Payrate: Volunteer w/One-Time Stipend of $700.00 (pending budget approval) (pending budget approval - refer to budget for weeks paid)
Payrate Stipend: Yes
Work Study: No
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: Approx 5 hours/week depending on individual circumstances. Hours beyond specified hours per week are considered volunteer educational experience.
Start Date: Jan. 9, 2023
End Date: June 1, 2023
Job Number: 0021-5077-2022
Last Date to Apply: Oct. 30, 2022
The Compost and Recycling Coordinators plan and oversee the zero-waste aspect of the Whole Earth Festival.
The Whole Earth Festival began in 1969 as a small art class project (“Art Happening”) on the UC Davis Quad to teach community members about activism, wellness, and environmental sustainability in an interactive and creative way. Following the United Nations’ recognition of Earth Day in 1970, the event was renamed as the “Whole Earth Festival” and has since evolved into an enormous, free, student-run event, attracting over 30,000 visitors annually on Mother’s Day Weekend.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
- Attend meetings with EH&S, Grounds, Facilities, and the Coffee house to organize usage of equipment and ensure compliance with university policy
- Provide the Logistics Coordinators with a list of needs for materials for the festival
- Communicate with vendors about the Compost and Recycling policies
- Familiarize yourself with compost and recycling practices to use at the festival and to educate others at the festival.
- Set up and clean up the Compost and Recycling zone at the beginning and end of the festival
- Recruit volunteers to assist with waste diversion during the festival; this will help to ensure that each day of the festival’s waste is sorted by the beginning of the next day.
[Obligations for ALL WEF members]
- Attend weekly meetings starting Fall Quarter until the festival
- Must be available for the Weekend of the Festival: May 12-14, 2023
- Must commit to helping set up and clean up the days leading up to the festival (May 10-11, 2023) and the day after the festival (May 15, 2023)
- Must submit a monthly Report to Directors online
- Interested in zero-waste practices, composting, and recycling
- Familiar with Google Drive and its functions
- Good communication
- Collaborate well with others
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please list any previous experience as it pertains to this position.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.