California Aggie: Staff Writer - Volunteer
Name: Katie DeBenedetti
You can visit the California Aggie website to learn more about them.
Payrate Stipend: No
Work Study: No
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: Approx. 5-10 hours/week, depending on the paper's production schedule and other factors.
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: June 8, 2023
Job Number: 0001-5128-2022
Last Date to Apply: Oct. 10, 2022
California Aggie staff writers are responsible for completing articles and news briefs assigned to them by their desk editor. They are expected to write one article per week that will appear online and/or in print.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
- Staff writers will be assigned to one of six desks: campus news, city news, features, arts & culture, sports or science. Each reporter is expected to write a minimum of one article each week for their assigned beat. This includes research, interviewing and editing.
Attend weekly desk meetings to pitch story ideas and collaborate with other writers.
Stay up-to-date on UC Davis-related news for potential story ideas.
May be responsible for covering breaking news on campus (i.e. attending demonstrations or protests).
- Meet with desk editor one-on-one each week to edit incoming stories for content, grammar and style.
Attend quarterly evaluations with desk editor to discuss progress.
Must be well-versed in events that pertain to UC Davis, the UC system or any other realm whose activities may be of interest to The California Aggie's readership.
Attend quarterly Aggie all staff meetings.
Craft photo or graphic ideas to pair with weekly story ideas.
This role may require work on nights and weekends.
To avoid bias and maintain standards of journalistic objectivity, staff writers should disclose all real or perceived conflicts of interest during their interview. Staff writers may not be affiliated with the ASUCD government.
- Must complete UC Managing Implicit Bias Series from University of California Learning Center within two weeks of being hired or have completed the series in the past two years.
- Completion of UC Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment Prevention Training for Non-Supervisors and the Clery Act Training for Campus Security Authorities (CSAs) within two weeks of being hired or have completed these courses in the past two years.
- Journalistic background.
- Strong knowledge of AP News Values and Principles and AP Standards and Practices.
- Strong writing, editing and copyediting skills.
- Constructive and quick communication skills.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work well under deadline pressure and deal with adversity and stress.
- Please list previous experience as it pertains to this position.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.