California Aggie: Graphic Designer (Volunteer)
Name: Christina Liu
You can visit the California Aggie website to learn more about them.
Payrate Stipend: No
Work Study: No
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: 2-5 hrs/wk
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: June 8, 2023
Job Number: 0001-5131-2022
Last Date to Apply: Oct. 10, 2022
Designers create graphics for news articles that appear online and/or in print. They will report to the design director and attend a weekly desk meeting.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
- Submit between one and 6 graphics per week, based on assignments from the design director.
- Attend a weekly desk meeting with a team of other graphic designers.
- Meet with the design director to review graphic work.
- Attend quarterly all staff meetings for The Aggie.
- To avoid bias and maintain standards of journalistic objectivity, graphic designers should disclose all real or perceived conflicts of interest during their interview.
- Must complete UC Managing Implicit Bias Series from University of California Learning Center within two weeks of being hired or have completed the series in the past two years.
- Completion of UC Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment Prevention Training for Non-Supervisors and the Clery Act Training for Campus Security Authorities (CSAs) within two weeks of being hired or have completed these courses in the past two years.
- Journalistic background
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Strong knowledge of AP News Values and Principles and AP Standards and Practices
- Attention to detail and eye for aesthetically pleasing newspaper design
- Constructive and quick communication skills
- Organizational skills and time management skills
- Ability to work well under deadline pressure and deal with adversity and stress
- Approximately 2 - 5 hours per week are required. This amount of time will vary according to the paper's production schedule and other factors.
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please list previous experience as it pertains to the position.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.