Unitrans: Unitrans Payroll Manager
Name: Magali Najera
You can visit the Unitrans website to learn more about them.
Payrate Stipend: No
Work Study: Yes
Resume Required: Yes
Hours per Week: 12-16 hrs/wk
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: Indefinite
Job Number: 0009-5251-2023
Last Date to Apply: Jan. 18, 2023
Holds direct responsibility for the bi-weekly timekeeping review and processing for over 200+ Unitrans student employees across multiple internal departments. Oversees all related data entry functions, positions, and all other payroll processing procedures. Holds ultimate responsibility for the timely and accurate submission of all student timekeeping, pay rate and job role documents.
The successful candidate may hold this position through the expected graduation date based on satisfactory performance in the position. Must be available to work through at least Winter 2024, including in person during Summer 2023.
The student in the role of Payroll Manager will be expected to follow the Unitrans Code of Conduct, complying with Unitrans policies, and upholding the Principles of Community. We are committed to provide a pleasant, welcoming, comfortable, and safe environment.
Unitrans is an equal opportunity employer.
As a part of ASUCD, you agree to subscribe to the ASUCD Newsletter.
A. Prepare, review and submit biweekly timesheets for student employees:
1. Review and approve biweekly employee time records via corresponding time keeping systems in a timely manner
2. Coordinate with student and career managers to review and approve all student employee timekeeping records
3. Complete biweekly driver, conductor, and supervisor shift reviews before pay period closes
4. Keep accurate, complete, and organized student employee physical and electronic timekeeping records
5. Maintain and distribute up-to-date information regarding TRS, UCPath, and other payroll information systems and due dates
B. Coordinate with other Unitrans personnel on internal data management systems
6. Work in conjunction with the IT Department to update and maintain software programs in a state of good repair
7. Evaluate payroll procedures and policies, including the Payroll Manager’s Manual, and update as needed.
8. Attend weekly Unitrans managers’ meetings and provide updates on emerging payroll processing timelines and issues.
9. Respond to payroll inquiries and issues in a timely manner in coordination with internal units and ASUCD.
C. Provide necessary payroll information and support to employees.
10. Holds at least four (4) announced office hours weekly.
11. Check and respond to emails on a consistent basis with more focus at the end of each pay period
12. Process student employee promotions, raises and separation from job roles
13. Attend quarterly mandatory meetings to inform employees of payroll information and answer questions.
14. Notify employees of pay and position changes and effective date thereof.
15. Create Unitrans payroll schedules in coordination with ASUCD payroll processing time frames.
D. Managerial Duties:
16. Hire, train, supervise, and organize work activities for a team of payroll assistants, including approving their timesheets in a timely manner.
17. Hold team meetings to discuss issues and assign responsibilities for new initiatives and tasks.
18. Serve as a resource to all Unitrans student employees, supervisors, and managers to quickly and accurately resolve payroll issues.
19. Collaborate with ASUCD payroll on a daily basis to identify, research, and solve payroll processes and discrepancies.
20. Attend weekly meetings with ASUCD Payroll and track payroll issues
21. Perform monthly pay rate and end date reviews to ensure information and pay accuracy.
22. Must be a current Unitrans employee
23. Must be available to work during summers and breaks.
24. Must be available every other weekend to review and approve timesheets
25. Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Box is highly desirable.
- The skills, knowledge, and abilities to perform the duties of the Unitrans Payroll Manager may be acquired, to some extent, through on-the-job training and experience.
- Exercise independent judgment and decision-making.
- Exercise good time management skills to prioritize completion of payroll reports with hard deadlines.
- Quickly and accurately compile numerical data from electronic data sources.
- Communicate along all lines of authority and among a diverse group of employees.
- Learn and apply knowledge quickly and accurately.
- Demonstrate flexibility to respond to changing priorities and situations.
- Prepare and update procedure documents using correct spelling and grammar.
- Handle confidential information appropriately and in a professional manner.
- Please list previous experience as it pertains to this position.
- Describe why you are qualified for this position and how it relates to your interests.
- Please briefly discuss the role of the UC Davis Principles of Community and your understanding of diversity and cultural competency.
Approved ___________________________________________________________________________ Date ____________________________
All student assistant positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedures for Staff Member (PPSM). See PPSM Policy & Procedures 3, Exhibit A and Exhibit B. Volunteer positions are subject to all entitlements in Policy & Procedure Manual 380 – Section 08, Volunteer Services. UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) is strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.